Thursday, July 7, 2011

Where did the title Round Plump Apple Originate?

While I am assuming the only people reading this blog are those closest to me and therefore know this title/story well, there should be an explanation.

My whole life I've been the shortest of all my classmates, friends, you name it, I was the runt of the litter. And a late bloomer. (basically, until I was about 19, I looked like a 12 year old boy.)

Suffice to say, going to the local pediatrician's office in my early teens was quite a treat. I think I was 14 or 15 and it was the last time my mother was in the room with me. Going through puberty is a mortifying experience enough, so laying on a sterile table while a sinister woman claiming to be a doctor prods around in the places my breasts are supposed to be was just the icing on the cake.

After being weighed, poked and prodded, the agony (ahem) exam was finished. I was sitting on the crinkly table while my Dr. (will exclude the name to protect the politically and psychologically incorrect person) attempted to explain my body.

"Margaret...how shall I say this: Girls your age have started to develop or have already developed pear shaped bodies. (she makes a pear outline with her hands.) You on the other hand? You have nice long skinny legs for your height, that can be the stem. But from there on up (and motions this in the figure of a circle) you're a round plump apple."

Way to induce anorexia, Doc. Awesome. And hence the name of this blog was created. Oh, and I have boobs now, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment